Making a pinata is amazingly simple however if you have never done it before it may be a bit overwhelming. In this post, I will explain to you step by step how to build the nicest pinata you have ever dream of. You only need to be patient, having an eye for detail, and good taste. So, Let’s start!
The post of today covers:
- Materials you need to make a pinata
- Making a pinata “Step by step”
Materials to make a pinata
- One 18’ balloon (any color)
- Four (4) tablespoons of flour
- Salt (half teaspoon)
- Two cups of water
- White glue 100 ml
- Old newspapers
- Kite paper (color depends on the model you want to do)
- Tape (strong)
- White paint
- Brushes (big 5cm, small 1cm)
- Hot glue gun
How to make a pinata Step by step
First, make your paper Mache mixture. It is easy, and it will take approximately 5 minutes. Start by dissolving four tablespoons of flour in one cup of cold water. Then, place one cup of boiling water in a pan on medium heat. Immediately, add the flour water to the boiling water and mix non-stop for 3 minutes. After mixing, add the salt. When the mixture gets thick, it means your paper mache is ready. Finally, turn the pan off and let it cool down.
Second, make your design. I will describe how to make a simple round pinata however options are infinite, check our gallery for inspiration. You can put many balloons together with tape or add legs, arms, and tails with cartoons. Just follow your imagination.
- Blow your balloon as big as you want it to be and add a rope in the knot. It will help you to hang it while drying.
- Cut 5×5 cm pieces out of old newspapers. Remember the bigger the pieces the less time it will take you to cover the pinata.
- Put the pieces of paper in the mache mixture and stick them all around the balloon. Let it dry completely before repeating. If you don’t do it the pinata will stink. Repeat the layering at least 4 times to get a solid shape.
- When the shape is solid enough break the balloon with a needle and take it out of the pinata. Be very careful, otherwise, the shape can look amorphous.
- Make two small holes with a needle and pass the rope through them. Remember that your pinata will be hanging from this rope, thus use extra tape around the holes to make it strong.
- Make the candy hole on one side of the pinata. This will be where you will introduce the candies and toys at the end.
- Paint the pinata white. This step can be avoided if you don’t have paint or if you don’t have much time. However, it will make a big difference by giving a neutral tone to the pinata.
- Cut the kite paper into long pieces of around 3×60 cm (see pic) and glue them around the pinata. Be creative with color combinations and always start from bottom to top.
- If your model included extra details like eyes, nose or stickers add them now with hot glue.
- Fill the pinata with candies, toys, and gifts.
- Bring it to a party and have fun smashing it into pieces!
I hope this post has encouraged you to make your first pinata. Sometimes it can be tricky to prepare materials when you are with kids around. Therefore I suggest you purchase our pinata box. This is a box including all the materials ready for you to make your pinata at home. Save the time cutting papers and making details. We include it all for you and your kid to make a fantastic pinata at home.